How To File a Slip-And-Fall Claim
Slipping in public can often lead to embarrassment. Perhaps you are with a group of friends or you slip in a coffee shop in front of 25 strangers. While this can certainly lead to embarrassment, it can also lead to serious injuries. When this happens, your first thought is not always “I need to make a claim quickly!”. You should check to see what area of your body you injured and seek medical attention as soon as possible. The first few steps you take after a slip-and-fall accident can be imperative in determining whether you can file a claim. When this happens, what should you do?
- Examine Yourself For Injuries. You should immediately assess your physical condition. Is anything broken as a result of falling? Are you bruising, or did you experience whiplash? Sometimes, injuries can creep up days later.
- Report the Accident To the Owner. After your accident, you should report it immediately to the owner or manager of the establishment you are in. If they are not there at the time the injury occurred, you can report it to the highest-ranking employee or even the city or town if you were on public property. It is imperative that your accident is reported as soon as possible.
- Write Down the Names Of Any Witnesses. Although it is not always the case, if there were any witnesses to your slip-and-fall accident, you should get their names and contact information.
- Document the Scene. If you can, document the scene as much as possible. A camera can be one of your greatest allies. Was there uneven pavement? Was there a leak in a ceiling and no warning sign nearby? Were their sharp, rusty nails sticking out from the wall that should have been taken care of? Getting many images from multiple angles can be extremely useful to your case. If you do not have a phone or a camera on you, ask for help from witnesses or friends and family.
- Seek Medical Treatment. If you are injured from a slip-and-fall accident, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. If your injuries are serious, ask to be taken to an emergency room. If you do not receive medical treatment soon after your accident, insurance companies and juries could assume that your injuries were not serious enough to receive compensation for.
- Have Your Doctor Take Detailed Notes. Your healthcare provider needs to know exactly what happened and how you got injured. This medical expertise will be needed to corroborate your injuries and case when you make a claim.
Do I Need an Attorney For Slip-And-Fall Accidents?
Although not required, hiring an attorney can be beneficial to navigating these types of claims an ensuring that you have all your evidence lined up.
If you were recently involved in a slip-and-fall accident, it can be stressful to not know what the next step is. However, by following the steps outlined above, you can be on your way to successfully filing a slip-and-fall claim. If you have any questions about your slip-and-fall accident, talk with a slip and fall lawyer Charlottesville, VA relies on today about your situation.
Thank you to our friends and contributors at MartinWren, P.C. for their insight into slip and fall accidents and personal injury.