Do I Still Get Paid If I’m Out Of Work Due To An Injury?

Do I Still Get Paid If I’m Out Of Work Due To An Injury?

If you’ve been injured on the job, you might need to take time off work to recover. When this happens, you may be wondering how you are going to keep getting a paycheck? With bills to pay and food to buy, your income is vital to maintaining your lifestyle. Though the specific regulations are different in each state, you are most likely eligible for some type of payment if you are out of work with an injury. 

Receiving Temporary Partial Pay After an Injury

Filing a claim with workman’s compensation is a vital first step if you sustained an injury while performing work duties. By submitting a claim right away, you may be eligible to receive compensation for missed time from work reasonably quickly. If your doctor determines that you cannot work for a short time, you should be able to receive a portion of your paycheck paid by your employer’s insurance. Most states allow you to collect up to 66% of your regular pay while you are recovering. 

Getting Long-Term Pay While Out of Work

Sometimes an injury is so severe that your doctor determines you aren’t able to return to work at all. In this situation, you may be entitled to payment from worker’s comp insurance on a weekly, long-term basis. Your amount is calculated by taking a portion of the income you were making. In some instances, workman’s compensation may choose to offer you a lump sum settlement payment instead of weekly checks. This amount is usually configured based on your future loss of wages as well as continued medical expenses. 

Being Paid to Return to Limited Duty 

Another scenario you may be faced with is being able to return to limited duty temporarily. Sometimes your doctor allows you to work part-time or in a different role than your original position until you fully recover. If this is the case, you may not earn as much money as you did before the injury. Depending on which state you live in, your employer may be required to pay your wages at your previous income level until you can return to full duty. 

As a Workers Compensation Attorney from Rispoli & Borneo, P.C. would agree with, when you have been injured on the job, you may be able to receive a portion of your income even while you aren’t working. This may be a short-term payment, long-term support or a single settlement check.