What To Do After A Hit-and-run

What To Do After A Hit-and-run

Car accidents happen every day across the U.S., and many involve drivers who flee the crash scene immediately after it occurs. This is called a hit-and-run, and it can leave the other driver in shock and confused about what to do. If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, there are several steps you can take to protect your interests, especially if you are injured or your vehicle had sustained significant damage. Here’s what to do.

Call 911

You should always call the police after an accident, even when the other driver stays on site. Mostly this is because many states require a police report to file a car accident claim, and you can’t do that if you don’t get an officer to the scene. The responding officer can take your statement about what happened, including any information about the runaway driver.

Get Medical Help

It isn’t unusual for car accident victims to think they are fine right after the crash, only to discover something is wrong a few days later. Seeing a doctor right away can inform you if you’ve been injured and make it easier to get compensated for your injuries. The longer you wait to see a doctor, the harder it will be to link your injuries to the crash and obtain compensation for them.

Gather Evidence

Since you don’t have any of the other driver’s information, write down as much as you can remember about them. Try to get a look at their car’s make and model, and get the license plate number if possible. Get witness statements from those nearby and check for cameras in the area that may be able to show the crash. Note the time and location and take pictures of the accident for your claim.

File a Claim

If the hit-and-run driver is discovered, you’ll be able to file a claim with their insurance just as you would with any negligent driver. If they aren’t found, you will have to file a claim with your personal insurance. It usually falls under your uninsured driver coverage. You may also be able to use personal injury protection, collision or medical payments coverage to pay for damages and expenses.

A hit-and-run claim can be more difficult simply because of the nature of the coverage and the cause of the accident. Calling a car accident attorney, like from Yearin Law Office, to see what to do when you’re a victim can get you the most out of your claim.